Technology and innovation law
It takes experience and skill to translate theory into practice when dealing with Technology and related laws. Legal knowledge alone is no longer sufficient to deal with Tech related matters… to understand the Tech is just as important. Our experienced Tech Law attorneys assist our clients on a daily basis to deal with Tech Law related issues and opportunities.
Our Services Include:
We assist clients:
- During their Tech development stages to ensure appropriate protection and maximum return on investment;
- With software strategies (strategies, acquisition, licensing, procurement, escrow, development and management of third-party software, proprietary software (incl. Apps), open-source software);
- In the procurement, migration and use of third-party Technology, including Artificial Intelligence (AI);
- To effectively participate in Research & Development processes without losing control over their Tech;
- With the effective use of software, hardware and data in their development and use of Internet of Things (IoT).
We assist clients with the effective exploitation of their Technology in local and international markets through:
- Various business models, i.e. software licensing, infrastructure as services (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), software as a service (SaaS), Applications;
- Restructuring to ensure effective use and protection of their Technology and data; and
- Tools: use of eSignatures, eCommunication methods and correct use of social media.
We assist clients with:
- The protection of Technology as intellectual property through appropriate agreements, registrations, and escrow services;
- The protection of their and their customers’ data (including personal information) – click here to see more about our Data Protection Services;
- The outsourcing of services to third party Tech service providers;
- Cybersecurity issues, including but not limited to Technological and organizational measures and litigation assistance.
We assist client with
- Data Protection compliance (including but not limited to POPIA and GDPR);
- Website and eCommunication compliance;
- The use of new Tech within the framework of existing and forthcoming legislation, i.e. Crypto Assets, Drones (for commercial purposes), AI, PropTech, and Fintech.
- International restructuring of a well-known asset management Technology company;
- International restructuring of a Technology company to protect and distribute their financial software in 5 different jurisdictions;
- Advices and certain deliverables for the Management Buy Out (MBO) of a well-known email service provider in South Africa;
- Due diligence on a target company in South Africa on behalf of an International Tech company;
- Advices and specific deliverables for the merger of two well-known businesses in the PropTech industry;
- Advices and guidance on R&D and commercial exploitation of specialized Technology by a client of DKVG through the involvement of a well-known University in South Africa;
- Negotiations and implementation of third-party software at a healthcare company;
- Assist with the establishment and provision of related customer- and third-party agreements for a national Agriculture transaction platform;
- Privacy Impact Assessment and Management of Data Protection Project for a Healthcare Technology provider;
- Data Protection Impact Assessment for an international training company with the main focus on GDPR.